Monday, October 7, 2013

Book Review: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & ParkEleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This contemporary, young adult novel of Rainbow Rowell depicts how two misfits find their solitary place in each other. It is not an entirely unique story, truth be told. Eleanor lives a pretty fucked up life and Park has his own issues. A typical teenager in America thing; but even though I said that, I would not lie and I'll say with a loud voice that this is a good book.
It reminded me about lots of things. Cliched as it may sound but this book is a good reminder of how weird love can be-- the power of love. Their love is bittersweet and I am warning you that reading from this point on would entail some spoiler...

What struck me the most in this book was the part when they were about to part; when Park reminisce the love of his parents for each other. Let me quote my favorite line during this part. Park was thinking, "What are the chances you'd ever meet someone like that?... Someone you can love forever, someone who would forever love you back? And what did you do when that person was born half a world away?" You see, Park's mom is Korean and his dad is American and it reminded me of how amazing these kind of couples find each other-- chance, fate, magic of love. It's amazing.

And truth time: I can see my self in Eleanor's shoes. Her indifference to the world is so familiar to me and it felt like I would have the same everything that she felt when she first realized she was inlove with Park, who was her first everything. Maybe it's because I never had a boyfriend before that's why I'm saying these things. *Laughs*

All in all, I like this book because although, there's nothing so special in it, it made me think about life, again, in general. It's not a waste of time so I'd be happy to give it a thumbs up! Add to that, the alternating Eleanor and Park's view of the story helped me in setting the mood. It made me realize that this kind of setting appeals to me because I get to understand how the story builds in the head of both leads. The ending is a great hanger also so I was so shocked to read the acknowledgement. I though it came too soon! *Laughs*

For the parting quote: *I'm so affected with this one that I have to instagram it. HAHA*

Park said, "I just can't believe that life would give us to each other and then take it back."
-- It was depressing enough, that said but his positivity makes him so admirable. He then said this, "But it's up to us... It's up to us not to lose this."

Hooray for true love!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment