Monday, October 7, 2013

Book Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Slammed (Slammed, #1)Slammed by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

[EDIT!]I just finished another book of Colleen Hoover! Slammed got me slamming so hard that I was able to finish it over night! Arggggh. How should I emphasize that it's a killer! I love it!

Layken, the protagonist in the story faced several difficulties in her life that started when her father died. Together with her family, she found her self transferring from her home town, Texas to Detroit. She thought it was the worse thing that could happen to her life but then she'd met the man whom she's going to fell in love with, Will Cooper. On their first date, Will introduced her to Slam Poetry-- an activity where you stand up front the stage, say your poem and just let it all out.
It was all too perfect when life decided to smack them right in the face when she realized that they can't be together because in that moment, Will must stop liking her, like nothing sparked between them. It doesn't stop there. As the story goes on, another truth, a very sad reality will come seeping in their family-- slowly and painfully.

The power of words and the passion to live life despite trials, Slammed encouraged me to continue seeing life in a spirited way. Life's gonna suck at some point and that's probably on of the most inevitable things that we have to face, once in a while. We must know that life doesn't, and won't stop there. At first we may emphasize death, but in the end, we must emphasize life.

Slammed is a very good book for anyone because it's going to let you re-live the life you once thought you lost grasp on. I'm giving this a two-thumbs up, equivalent to 5 shining stars because I really liked it! Be slammed!

PS. Slammed got its title in Slam Poetry. I am actually curious if such thing really exist. I have to remind my self to google that later. I actually think that it is interesting. To be honest, I'm a frustrated poet as well.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment