Monday, October 7, 2013

Book Review: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After reading this, I realized that this is probably my initial set point to go looking for new adult books. Although this book stirred conflicting emotions within me in the process, it left me hanging and go seek for more.

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover deals with the bests and worsts of life-- and a life that is too much for a seventeen year-old. The story tackles a pressing issue of today and this book holds no bar in describing how a victim stands up and become the victor. Our heroine Sky is so lucky to have Holder-- someone who loved her and chose to be with her despite everything . Did I mention that Holder is smoking sweet and damn right HOT also? He's fucking sweet. Ok, sorry for the *F* word but Holder loves using it. Now, I do too. No, not really. LOL.

As I see the book, it's not mainly written to create another favorite love team. It's written for a greater purpose. Since It's very realistic in a sense, a slice of life. A reason why this reality have left me depressed and broken at some point.

It' not disappointingly written but it's just disappointing and sad. The books is great on its own and well-thought of that's why it deserve some applause *APPLAUSE*. I would recommend it to anyone. Well, I actually already did with my friends *luaghs*.

Although I liked this book, I have two issues with it. It's not much but I thought that they're quite important.

First issue: did I just miss it or Sky was not well described-- her face, her character-- I cannot picture her well while I was reading the book. I felt so detached from her character because I cannot picture her face. Seriously. Is it important? Hell yeah! Although not all through out, I felt like I was picturing this faceless, caramel-haired girl that all I know about her was that she loves to make-out with lots of people and that she's stubborn. Ok, the list could go on but I just want to make that point. Or did I miss that part? Hmmm.

And second: some parts of the story is written in a such a way that words are too much to digest. Too much that I think is unnecessary because I thought that one situation can be described in a much-much simpler way (effective and brief). I even came to a point that I'm scrolling down the entire page, read snippets and then look for the next dialogue. I seriously can't stand on reading long descriptive paragraphs one after the next.



--Spoiler ahead

It's a huge diversion for me after reading this book. Right before this one, I was reading a young adult book. I was shocked when that YA book tackled harassment, and it hit me like I was reminded that that is reality. Then I read this book and it's about molestation. For crying out loud. I'm so depressed.
---


My heart goes with all those who experienced molestation not only by their heroes---like Sky, but from anyone.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment